Guide thanks to Hestra Glove Care Guide. Also applicable to all other brands.
Glove care - 5 tips for a long life
Hestra gloves are made to last. With some love and care they will last even longer. Good for you, good for the environment.
1) Use Hestra Leather Balm.
Grease the leather regularly and it will resist moisture, wear and tear better. Moisten the leather a little first. Use a polishing cloth and rub in the grease until the leather is saturated. Do this in the evening and the grease is absorbed during the night.
2) If you have gloves with breathable materials like GORE-TEX©, you should avoid silicone impregnation. It clogs the pores and reduces the material’s breathability.
3) With the carabiner clasp that comes with some models, you can easily attach the gloves to a backpack. In that way, you don’t risk losing them, and they can dry without losing shape.
4) Dyed leather may stain clothing when wet, so don’t place a wet glove on other garments. Choose a model with a natural leather color if you do not want to risk bleeding.
5) Gloves rarely get damaged while skiing. Instead, the edges of skis and boot buckles are normally the cause of damage to your gloves. Be careful when handling your skis or boots!
Washing & drying. 5 truths about washing and drying.
1) Dry your gloves at room temperature, avoid open flames, heaters, tumble- driers and ovens.
2) Gloves dry best in an upright position. Some models come with a carabiner clasp that, apart from keeping the gloves together, also is useful when drying.
3) Do not turn lined gloves inside out. The liner, insulation and membrane can be difficult to put back into place.
4) Gloves with a removable lining dry faster when the liners are removed, and the removable liners are also easy to wash. Dirt clogs pores and fibers reducing breathability. However, wool liners must be hand washed and dried on a flat surface.
5) We do not recommend washing leather gloves frequently. If you do wash them, put on the gloves and wash with soap and lukewarm water. Squeeze out the water gently without twisting. Models without several layers or leather can be machine-washed at 40°C or less.